Essential Training Course Schedule
Web training, region TBD
Complete the application form to receive more details and joining instructions.
Regions for open and affiliate training courses are determined according to demand. In addition to sessions for the Asia Pacific region, EAS have delivered a number of successful courses spanning Europe, Africa and the Americas.
A dedicated client course can follow the standard course structure, or can be tailored to suit individual client needs. Additional modules available to those in the standard course are:-
Strategy and Change Management - support for defining and managing the organisations architecture states through milestones, roadmaps, strategic plans and programme and project change activities; linking to drivers and objectives, risks, and assumptions and constraints.
Security and Data Management - Security Management covers how to define a security architecture and apply it to the relevant resources in the organisation. Data Management covers how to manage data quality across the organisation, defining the data standards, required roles and the application of both to data.
Administration - Covers useful admin options such as integrating and exporting data and more standard admin tasks such as setting up multiple viewer environments, user management, version control etc.
Custom Client courses can consist of a selection of modules to suit a particular client need, the length of the course depending on the modules selected.
Tailored Client courses can be created that bring additional benefits not only through ease of understanding, but also by using the course to discuss how to address real-life situations in an organisation and even using an organisations own data. Examples include:
- Expanding to include broader EA aspects and how to achieve these using Essential
- Tailoring content and examples towards a particular industry, or creating exercises that are specific to your organisation
- Extending the report-writing module so that real reports required by an organisation are developed as part of the course, rather than creating standard sample reports.
- Integrations are specific to each organisation; therefore this module can be customised to focus on specific integration requirements of an organisation.
Additionally, tailored training can be provided to help meet specific objectives, such as:-
- Business and IT strategy development and management
- Business capability modelling
- Solution architecture design
- Application/technology rationalisation and cost reduction
- Strategic application and technology selection
- Legacy transitioning and decommissioning
- Outsourcing / "right-sourcing" strategy development
- IT governance
Although tailoring courses incurs additional cost, these are often offset by the trainee's ability to immediately apply what they have learnt by further extending the outputs from the course. In our experience, organisations often benefit hugely from tailored training.
Courses can be delivered at client-site, at a suitable third-party training location or training can be delivered online. For further details regarding options, availability and cost of client courses please contact us.
EAS are currently experiencing a high level of demand for consultancy and training in The Essential Project. To meet this demand we are looking to expand the EAS affiliate network with independent consultants that, once trained in Essential, will work in association with EAS on Essential projects.
The demand we are experiencing is from a diverse set of organisations across the globe, each with differing enterprise architecture requirements. We are looking for independent consultants, with existing architecture skills of differing levels, who would be interested in expanding their skill set to include Essential, and then working with EAS to provide consultancy services to various organisations.
The services EAS provide include EA consultancy, EA modelling support, gathering of EA information for input/integration into Essential, Essential view development and Essential training.
We are currently experiencing a high level of demand for people with modelling skills, particularly in the US, so if you have these skills or are an experienced Enterprise or Domain layer (business, information, application or technology) Architect, a junior architect looking to gain experience in the EA field or a business or systems analyst looking to move into the EA arena, then this opportunity may be of interest to you.
To become an affiliate of EAS, recognised as an Essential specialist, you will need to:-
- Complete a short online application form.
- Undertake a pre-qualification telephone interview.
- Successfully complete a five day training course that will cover the use of Essential in all layers of enterprise architecture, as well as new report/view generation.
- Successfully complete an online test to confirm your understanding of the Essential tool.
Following successful completion we will match client engagements to the most appropriate affiliate consultant.
The five day training course will be web based and will be run over a three week period. Depending on the location of the trainees we may be flexible with regard to start and end times. There will be no charge for this course. We are giving our time free, as will you be, in the hope of building a long lasting and successful partnership with you.
Details of the Affiliate course schedule can be found at the start of the training section. If you wish to apply, please complete the Application Form or, if you have further queries, please contact us.
Standard Course Structure
Our training courses cover a set of standard modules, which provide an overview of Essential plus deep-dives into each of the architecture layers. The standard course also includes a day dedicated to report development for Essential Viewer - a key part of the Essential toolset.
All modules are hands-on and include a series of exercises that help build a trainee’s understanding of the toolset. A series of post-course evaluation tests are available if required to help validate and benchmark the trainee's knowledge.
The standard five-day course covers the following:
- Overview Module - introduction to Essential Modeller, Essential Viewer, Essential Meta-Model, Patterns and Use-cases
- Business Module - modelling objectives, capabilities, people and processes of an enterprise
- Application Module - modelling the functional behaviour provided by systems and applications in support of business processes
- Information Module - modelling structured and unstructured information that support business processes, is managed by applications and is transmitted/stored using technology
- Technology Module - modelling the software and hardware technology estate that supports applications and information
- View Building Module - creating, styling and deploying reports in the Essential Viewer environment.
A standard, five day training course is usually web-based and run over a three week period, with one or two full days training each week. We find this fits well with consolidating the web based learning and managing the training time with work commitments.